TIRED OF WORKING AND GETTING NOWHERE?
What do we do?
The IAM empower workers just like you on the job.
The IAM is a powerful union and your employer knows it. Are you having issues at work and wondering what you can do to make it better? Why not take the opportunity to look out for you and your family’s best interests? That’s why workers just like you have chosen to join the IAM all over the world. Here in the Twin-Cities metro area we represent new car dealerships, heavy truck repair facilities, public workers, manufacturing and more. The only way to have a chance at better wages, benefits and working conditions is to collectively bargain for it through a union contract.
You might be asking yourself why a Union?
By forming a union, workers provide themselves with the opportunity to secure a voice in their workplace and ensure justice on the job. Union members are able to sit down with management as equals and bargain for better workplace conditions. For some, that might be higher wages and better benefits. For others it might be job security or fair treatment. Regardless of your specific needs, the IAM is here to help.
Workers have protections under the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA). You have legal rights under Section 7 of the NLRA. Here are a few examples:
- Join or support a union
- Attend union organizing meetings
- Ask other employees to support the union and to sign union cards or petitions
- Read, distribute, and discuss union literature(as long as you do this in non-work areas during non-work time, such as break or lunch hours)
- Wear union buttons, t-shirts, stickers, hats and other items on the job.
Under Section 8, your employer cannot:
- Legally punish or discriminate against any worker because of union activity
- Threaten to or actually fire, layoff, discipline, harass, transfer, or reassign employees because they support the union
- Favor employees who don’t support the union over those who do in promotions, job assignments, wages, hours, enforcement of rules, or any other working condition
- Promise employees a pay increase, promotion, or special favor if they oppose the union
- Shut down the work site or take away any benefits or privileges employees already enjoy in order to discourage union activity
If you want to know more about how to organize with the IAM or want to join the IAM, please fill out your contact information and a Representative of the IAM will contact you. All conversations and contacts with the IAM are confidential.